10 October 2009

Gone

by Michael Grant

Hardie Grant Egmont. Young Adult, Mystery, Science Fiction. Paperback rrp $19.95

I originally started to read Gone but I then had to ask my 17 year old to take it as I got scared. I didn’t like thinking of the possibilities and consequences of the story outcome. It reminded me of the book and the movie, Lord of the Flies. And anyway, I reasoned, it’s young adult title. Much better to have a review from a teenager.

My son took it into his room and … it has never seen the light of day since. Gone! (If you will pardon the pun…) My question as to if he had read it came with the reply “oh yeah.” “And?” “It was good. Really liked it.” “Can you write a few lines about it?” “Maybe.”

And there you have it.

The story is about children who, one moment are sitting in a small town classroom then, in a blink of an eye, everyone over the age of 15 has disappeared. Even the teacher. After that, chaos ensues. Some kids automatically become leaders, others followers and some just want to cause havoc.

I was too scared to read on and that’s a review in itself. An excellent book for readers who like a story guaranteed to make them shiver and one my own teenager wouldn’t hesitate to recommend. Another three books in the series, Hunger, Lies and Plague, are scheduled to follow.
http://www.egmont.co.uk/gone/

No comments:

Post a Comment