07 October 2009

One, Two, Cockatoo!

by Sarah Garson

Random House. Australian, Picture, Young Reader. Hardback rrp $19.95

One, Two, Cockatoo! is a book that delighted not only my young boy but myself as well. There are not too many counting books that could be called fun, colourful and Australian!

Garson has cleverly captured the quirky behaviour of an Australian icon. There are plenty of white cockatoos around our home and I can attest One, Two, Cockatoo! has listed all their idiosyncrasies with great accuracy. I especially liked the “Four cockatoos dancing a jive. Another joins in and hey-presto – that’s five!”

My son and I already return to this book time and time again when the cockatoos come to the back yard. We can compare and practise a little Aussie maths... “One cockatoo on his own in a tree. Two cockatoos fly over… … that’s three!”

No comments:

Post a Comment