20 June 2009

We Are Wearing Out the Naughty Step

by Mick Inkpen

Hodder Children’s Books. Young Reader. Paperback rrp $16.99

I have used the naughty step to punish my children and when I pulled this book out to read to my young son he flinched a bit – I think he was worried I would make him go there again. But after we started reading, he was soon giggling and laughing and I was smiling as I remembered the reasons I had sent him to our naughty step.

My bear Bertie has always had something fidgety inside him.
I wanted to see what it was. It was beans!
Real beans!
I didn’t mean them ALL to come out.
And it wasn’t me that put one in Jimbo’s ear.


The inquisitiveness of young children is perfectly captured in We Are Wearing Out the Naughty Step. This is a book that may help explain to adults that kids will be kids and that some adults can be kids too – just for awhile! A fun way of looking at the naughty side of life! With wonderful pictures to enhance those feelings. Sometimes being naughty is really just finding out – discovering.

Mick Inkpen is the author/illustrator of The Kipper and Wibbly Pig stories, the winner of the British Book Award for the Best Illustrated Book for Lullabyhullabaloo and the Children’s Book Award for Threadbear. Kipper won a BAFTA for best animated children’s film in 1998.

No comments:

Post a Comment