15 December 2009

Never Mind the Bullocks

Here’s the Science

by Dr Karl Kruszelnicki

 Harper Collins. Australian, Adult Non-Fiction. Paperback rrp $27.99


I hadn’t opened this book before Sunday morning when I was sitting watching Rage on television and heard a familiar tune. I looked up from my breakfast to see Dr Karl on the television singing (sort-of) to the tune of God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols. Only he had changed the words to tie in with promoting the book sitting on my bedside table.

I opened the book later that day to see what the fuss was. Never Mind the Bullocks is about science. But not just boring facts and numbers. Kruszelnicki has selected topics that are very current. Some interesting myths are dispelled including one that I should have got right at a recent trivia competition - NASA didn’t invent Velcro!

I think that any trivia junkie or expert needs to read Dr Karl and he has 27 other books in case the necessary answers aren’t in Never Mind the Bullocks. Certain facts are very useful if you are a sports nut or you can’t get your ear away from your mobile phone. And everyone may think twice about buying that new four-wheel drive. Oh and I am so glad I never spent a lot of money in the 80’s buying Royal Jelly to make my skin look younger… according to Dr Karl, my wrinkles would still be the same.

http://www.drkarl.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment